Health Benefits of Scottish Country Dancing
Scottish country dancing can:
- burn calories as many calories as you would do in a typical dance session as playing badminton or golfing .
- Help to prevent diseases like diabetes, heart disease and arthritis – regularly taking part in any form moderate exercise can also help to reduce your chances of getting these.
- Help to prevent degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s – the need to be coordinated and keep up with timings keeps your brain engaged. Frequent dancing makes you smarter.
- Build bone density, core strength and agility
- Reduce stress and improve your mood
Frequent dancing makes you smarter.
A new report by the universities of Cumbria and Strathclyde has found that Scottish Country Dancing has invaluable health benefits and can actually delay the ageing process.
In Use It or Lose It: Dancing Makes You Smarter, Richard Powers discusses the latest research on dancing and mental health.
It is now known that dancing increases cognitive acuity at all ages and frequent dancing reduces the risk of dementia by 76%. That is the greatest risk reduction of any activity studied, cognitive or physical.